Hiring the right collection associates is essential for helping consumers effectively resolve accounts. Here are some of the key qualities to look for in a collection associate:
- Communication skills: Collection associates need to be able to communicate effectively with consumers, both in person and over the phone. They should be able to build rapport with consumers, listen to their concerns, and explain the collection process in a clear and concise way.
- Empathy: Collection associates need to be able to empathize with consumers who are struggling to pay their bills. They should be able to understand why consumers may be behind on their payments and be patient and understanding when working with them.
- Problem-solving skills: Collection associates need to be able to problem-solve and find creative solutions to help consumers resolve their accounts. They should be able to work with consumers to develop a payment plan that they can afford and that will help them get back on track financially.
- Persistence: Collection associates need to be persistent and motivated to help consumers resolve their accounts. They should not give up easily and should be willing to work with consumers until the account is paid in full.
In addition to these qualities, it is also important to hire collection associates who are familiar with the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA). The FDCPA is a federal law that regulates the conduct of debt collectors. Collection associates who are familiar with the FDCPA will be able to collect debts in a way that is fair and legal.
By hiring the right collection associates, you can help consumers effectively resolve their accounts and improve your chances of collecting debt.
Here are some additional tips for hiring the right collection associates:
- Do your research. Before you start interviewing candidates, take some time to research the different collection agencies in your area. This will help you determine which agencies have a good reputation and which ones are likely to hire the right collection associates.
- Interview candidates thoroughly. When you interview candidates, be sure to ask them about their experience, their communication skills, and their problem-solving skills. You should also ask them about their familiarity with the FDCPA.
- Get references. Once you have narrowed down your choices, be sure to get references from the candidates’ previous employers. This will give you a better idea of how they performed in their previous roles.
By following these tips, you can increase your chances of hiring the right collection associates for your business.
At New World Collections we are experts in all aspects of bad debt recovery. We have the answers! Contact Us